Wednesday, May 10, 2017

SLEEPING GIANT FREEHIKE
(Ken Sunwalker’s Lost Key Adventure)

One of my most memorable freehikes was on a Friday to the Sleeping Giant mountain while working in Helena, MT.

The Sleeping Giant is a prominent Helena landmark, a tall mountain to the north that looks like a giant laying on its back, with craggy rocks to the right side that look like a face – nose, mouth, etc.  Everyone in Helena recognizes the sleeping giant, but very few have ever visited it.  I decided I would remedy that, at least for me.

Friday morning promised to have nice weather.  I arose early and drove to the Gates of the Mountains recreation area, then took the first gravel road left towards the giant.  I couldn’t find an entrance road to the giant (a good sign), so I parked at the side of the road as close to the giant as I could get.  I dressed in my hiking kilt (into which I slipped the car keys), kept on my t-shirt, crawled under the fence, and headed across a wide field to the pine covered foothills where there looked to be a pass leading to the giant’s face.

Reaching the pines, I slipped off my kilt and t-shirt.  Oh the relief and freedom - the sun and breeze caressing on my entire body - nude hiking is the best!

I worked my way through the trees and meadows towards the pass, crossing under another fence, continuing up, until I reached a dirt road, probably not used since last summer.  I followed this road through the hills for a few miles.

Freehiking brings one so close to nature.  The forest pines crowded close to the road on both sides.  Deer and other animal tracks crossed occasionally.  I spooked a mule deer.  At mountain meadows the wild flowers were out in full array – yellow sweet pea, purple larkspur, two varieties of bluebell, yellow mules ear, light purple and white flox, tiny white daisies, red and yellow and white yarrow, a beautiful place and time to freehike in nature.

Suddenly, hiking around a bend in the road, the giant’s rocky face appeared – close – indescribably beautiful!

I walked up the dirt road to the gate of a family summer cabin called The Sleeping Giant Ranch, probably 300 yards from the base of the cliffs.  The gate was posted with large “no trespassing” signs, so I decided it was time to turn back.

Freehiking back was just as wonderful as the hike up.

After 45 minutes or so I reached my locked rental car, felt my pocket, and . . . no keys!  I’d dropped them – somewhere – oh no – what to do?

I retraced my steps, taking a second freehike all the way to the Sleeping Giant’s face, and back.  (My feet were pretty sore by then.)  Still no keys.

I’d noticed a ranch house over the hill in the distance, so dressed in my t-shirt and hiking kilt, I headed up the road.  Just before reaching the ranch house, a truck stopped, and offered to deliver me to the airport in Helena (nearly 20 miles) where I’d rented the car.

At the airport, still dressed in just a t-shirt and short hiking kit, I discovered that the extra key was in the trunk of the locked rental car.  So, I had no choice but to call a wrecker to help me retrieve the car.

After a long trip and $175, I returned the car to the airport and was dropped off at my place of employment.  What a relief after an all-day-long adventure.

The freehike was wonderfully relaxing and highly recommended.  The lost key adventure was nerve-wracking.  So, what did I learn?

Always leave your car keys safely hidden near the car when freehiking.

But, keep on freehiking!


No comments:

Post a Comment