Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Why Don’t Younger People Get Involved?

(Because the World Has Changed)

Today I tried to get my Arizona Public Service (APS) service approved by completing a form given to me by my contractor (we’re building a new house).  I called and (after 10 minutes waiting for the customer service representative to call other departments to find an answer) was told that APS had closed all its offices and eliminated their fax number so the only way to submit the form was to scan and email it.

Last week I met with the operator of a facility for those with disabling conditions.  I was concerned they would not be able to use the technology I was sharing, and he said “No problem.”  It turns out all those he served spent most of their time using smart phones so now did not have time to participate in the activities he offered.  He wished the smart phone had never been invented.

I used to help manage a ski resort that offered mountain biking in the summer.  That business is nearly gone since young people don’t get involved.

I’ve noticed a trend lately in the development of robots that provide sex, so people don’t “have” to interact with real humans in this traditionally most-human of all activities.

Phone trees – dial one for X, and 2 for Y, and 3 for Z, then ending up talking to someone from India have become commonplace.  I worked for a company that even tried outsourcing the human resource function (it didn’t work).

It doesn’t even work to call my kids anymore because they do not answer.  They only accept texts and will text back at their convenience.

The world has changed in many ways.  When I was younger we swam nude in school and at scout camp; now a leader who even suggested such a thing would be jailed.  My mom told me to go out and play with my friends; we spent hours climbing the hills and fishing in the streams.  Now my kids won’t even let my grandkids go to a park alone for fear that pedaphils are hiding behind every brush – not reality of course.  But, young people’s attitudes have changed significantly.  Of course, the advent of computers, and smart phones, and the Internet, and drones is partly to blame, but the reality is more simple.

Young people no longer need to interact with others.  In the past one had to interact with human beings, and older people came to expect that.  But times have definitely changed.

It’s not that young people don’t want to get actively involved in sports and similar activities.  It’s not that they are too involved working on the computer in the basement.

Let me repeat, the main problem is . . .Young people no longer want to interact with others.

And I do not know how the naturist community can solve that.  Emphasis on home nudity?  Individual naked activities like meditation?  Naked in front of the computer groups?  Internet naturist resorts for individuals?  Individual freehiking or swimming?  I am just not sure, but for sure the world has changed, and young people may have moved away from naturism as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment